Simply Delicious Springtime Solutions
(Family Features) - With spring in the air comes time to clean closets, cupboards and ... recipe boxes? Freshen up more than your home this season by sorting through your collection of mealtime favorites. Adding new springtime desserts to the recipe rotation is a surefire way to satisfy everyone from the pickiest of eaters to those with special dietary considerations, including gluten free.
Spend some time browsing online at inspiring food websites and blogs, flip through your favorite magazines and revisit trusted cookbooks to revitalize your recipe collection. Try unexpected tasty combinations, such as Strawberry-Marshmallow Crisp Ice Cream Sandwiches made with gluten free Chex(r) cereal, a recipe created by cookbook author and DishTowelDiaries.com blogger Silvana Nardone.
"Introducing new recipes to fit everyone's needs is fun and delicious," said Nardone, author of "Cooking for Isaiah," a cookbook catering to the millions of Americans with food sensitivities like her son, Isaiah. "Gluten free cooking is easier than ever with five varieties of gluten free Chex cereals, which I use as an ingredient in everything from Sweet 'n' Salty Coconut Chicken to Double Chocolate Pudding Pie, to a refreshing homemade ice cream sandwich."
Nardone offers these tips to ease into a scrumptious spring:
New twists for the table: Reach for delicious fruits and vegetables at your local farmers market or grocery store to make a beautiful-and nutritious-centerpiece.
Feeling inspired? Try Nardone's tasty gluten free Strawberry-Marshmallow Crisp Ice Cream Sandwiches.
For additional creative recipes, visit www.Chex.com/GlutenFree. And remember, if you're cooking gluten free, always read labels to make sure each recipe ingredient is gluten free. Products and ingredient sources can change.
Recipe for Strawberry-Marshmallow Crisp Ice Cream Sandwiches
Start to Finish Time:
What's on the Menu Today?
Army Air Corp Photos WWII
Book Care and Repair
Chinese New Year
Christmas Entertaining Recipes
Cooking and Food Links
Cooking for a Large Group
Creative Holiday CookingCulinary History
Easter Information and Recipes
Entertaining Tips and Recipes
Fun with Food
Fun with Food
Herbs and Spices
Kids Crafts and Recipes
Memorial Day Information
Nineteenth Century American Women
Nineteenth Century Advertising
Pet Goodies for Dogs, Cats and Birds
Recipes from the 1800's
Wine and Beer Information
Cereal Recipes for Kids
Decorate your Cereal
Make Cereal Fun to Eat for Kids
Keeping Up With A Healthy Lifestyle
Bruce Jenner Shares Tips for Eating Right, Staying Active While Saving Money
(Family Features) When it comes to jump-starting an active day, no one knows the importance of fueling up on nutrition more than Bruce Jenner, gold medalist and father of 10 - including the famous Kardashian clan. How does he keep everyone healthy and happy? Jenner is a big believer in breakfast, and finding fun ways to partake in active, healthy family pursuits.
"As an athlete, I am always looking for the best ways to help my family get active and eat right," said Jenner. "I do most of the grocery shopping and I have my go-to products like Tropicana orange juice, oatmeal and nuts that I feel really good about because they are healthy and great-tasting. Just as important as healthy eating is spending quality time together with my family. And if we can save a little money at the same time then that's great, too."
Here are Jenner's top tips for keeping up with a healthy lifestyle:
* Kick off the day with breakfast - No matter what, make sure everyone gets that first meal in and load it up with protein, whole grains and vitamins. Research indicates that breakfast eaters tend to have better, more nutrient-rich diets in general, so make it a family habit.
* Juice up your family's nutrition - For about 50 cents per 8-ounce glass, orange juice is packed with nutrients including vitamin C, potassium, B vitamins like folic acid and thiamin. In fact, one 8-ounce glass provides two of the four recommended servings of fruit you need each day.
* Go on a bike ride - Getting on a bicycle is something the whole family can enjoy, and doesn't require a lot of expense. Let your family pick their favorite destination and take turns guiding a tour.
* Mix and match activities - Let each person in your family pick a day each month to do an activity they enjoy and have the whole family participate. You might end up on the dance floor, on a football field, or on the playground for a game of two-square - whatever you do, you're guaranteed a fun change of pace for all.
* Get more bang for your buck - Watch for special coupons and online offers to help extend the family budget. The Tropicana Juicy Rewards program offers 20,000 ways to save on healthy pursuits for the whole family, like sports and camping gear, spa treatments and discounts on activities in and around Yosemite Park.
"Now you get the good stuff in the glass plus big savings on more good stuff for your family. With Juicy Rewards, one specially-marked carton of Tropicana orange juice is worth up to $15 in savings. And with Trop50 juice beverages, you get half the sugar and double the rewards," added Jenner, who is teaming with the brand to spread the word. "I'm thinking about redeeming my points towards some golf gear."
In addition to active reward offers, families also can choose to donate points to benefit the environment. Each point donated saves 33 1/3 square feet of rainforest.
Find out more at Tropicana.com.